Why do we need a world wide fair trade directory
- So conscious consumers can make an informed decision
- So they can buy fair and ethical where they are, anywhere in the world
- So fair and ethical traders can raise awareness
- So fair and ethical makers can achieve greater equity in trade
- And because this is the only directory that connects fair and ethical sellers and buyers across the world
Why should I use the fair trade find directory as a buyer
- Connect direct with a fair trader anywhere – search worldwide
- Spend money where it makes a difference – in the community
- Take control over what you buy and where – avoid intermediaries
- Increase awareness – contribute and share your experiences
What are the listing criteria
Fair Trade Find is a directory for fair and ethical makers and traders that meet fair trade principles (see below). They are not required to be a WFTO or other certification organisation member as we know this is not achievable for many. Not because they cannot adhere to the principles but because the level of literacy, technology and finance is limited. So even mini and micro home-based makers and traders can list. If they do not have the skill or access to list, someone who knows them can do it on their behalf. This directory is a tool for their empowerment and a way forward to a fair and ethical trading world.
How do I know a listing is genuine
- Every listing status is pending until verified
- We conduct an online search for information that supports the listing
- We expect that fair and ethical traders contribute honestly
- Users flagging listings and their comments are also used for updating
- Listings are reviewed regularly and upon renewal
What do I do when I know a listing is not genuine
Every listing has a Flag Listing button. You can use this to advise us if the maker or trader is no longer at the listing location. You can also use this to advise us of any other observations or information about the listing. We will then review the Flagged Listing.
Who can add a listing
You can suggest a listing and recommend a trader or maker. We review all suggested listings and do some more research before publishing them in the directory.
Why should I list as a maker or trader
“Fair Trade Organisations have a clear commitment to Fair Trade as the principal core of their mission. They, backed by consumers, are engaged actively in supporting producers [and makers], awareness raising and in campaigning for changes in the rules and practice of conventional international trade.” Globally recognised definition, as agreed by the main international Fair Trade networks (WFTO, Fairtrade International and European Fair Trade Association)
- SEO – listing includes a website link, the more clicks the higher ranking in searches
- Boost credibility – be part of large group in a reputable sector
- Increase visibility and awareness – searchers are ‘warm’ contacts
- Make connections – be part of a supportive community
- Social media support – directory marketing reaches audiences across platforms
- Affordable marketing – free to list at the moment with future promotional options as the directory develops
Are my details safe?
We use reCAPTCHA to verify you are not a robot. We also have a SSL certificate (see the keylock in the address bar) that encrypts internet traffic and verifies our server identify. This way you can be sure that no one reads or changes your communication and that you are communicating with us via our hosted server